Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In the truck with a 6 year old.

As most of you know, J is a bit of a talker. Ok, maybe that's an understatement. The boy pretty much never shuts his mouth. Especially in the truck. Yesterday was no exception. There are run-on sentences and no paragraph breaks and no warning for subject switching. It pops into his head and he says it. Our conversation yesterday:

J: "Mom, can we ride cows?"
Me: "We could, but I don't think they would appreciate it."
J: "But cows are nice, right?"
Me: "Yes, they are, but I'm sure they can be mean when they want to."
J: "Like when someone tries to ride on their backs?"
Me: "Yes."
J: "What about horses?"
Me: "Yes, we can ride horses."
J: "No, I mean are they mean?"
Me: "What, when we try to ride them?"
J: "Yeah."
Me: "No, not normally. They are usually nice when we try to ride them."
J: "Why do donkey's spit?"
Me: "What?"
J: "Why does a donkey spit?"
Me: laughing, "I didn't realize they spit. Where did you see that?"
J: "Animal Planet."
Me: "Well, maybe they spit because their mouth tastes bad. I've never seen a donkey spit."
J: "I've seen a donkey poop."
Me: "Good for you."
J: "If that field over there has too many field mice, then they could run all the way to our backyard and try to get in our house."
Me: "I don't think we have to worry about that. They wouldn't like you chasing them around the backyard."
J: "Can you make sure N doesn't pick up any scorpions? I don't want him to get bit by one."
Me: "I'll make sure. But we don't really have a scorpion problem around our house."
J: "Do dust mites eat our skin?"
Me: "Do you ever stop talking?"
J: pause, "No."

Now, imagine, all this was in our 15 minute drive home. Impressed, aren't you? He gets the talking from me, for sure. At this rate, he'll be the smartest kid around!

1 comment:

LillieF said...

Thank you for that and I thought myself, my mother and Thomas were the only ones who never stopped talking lol.
How did he go from talking about horses to field mice? lol
I learned something new. I didn't know donkeys spit either. I thought only camels did that.